The Covenanters' Inn is an ideal base for a variety of days out to suit all ages and interests.
Just ask Douglas when you get here and he'll be happy to point you in the right direction!
Historic Places to Visit Nearby
- Culloden Battlefield - site of Bonnie Prince Charlie's final defeat
- Fort George - garrison for the army of George II, now containing a military museum
- Clava Cairns - Bronze Age chambered cairns and standing stones
- Cawdor Castle - legendary connections with Shakepeare's Macbeth
- Sueno's Stone in Forres - over 23 feet tall and 1000 years old
- Elgin Cathedral - burned by the infamous Wolf of Badenoch in 1390
- Brodie Castle - delightful grounds and sumptuous interior
For a more detailed list, visit the web sites by the National Trust for Scotland and Historic Scotland.
And if that is too dry for your taste then take the Malt Whisky Trail!
In this area of Scotland there are over 50 distilleries,
many with visitor centres offering guided tours and free drams!
A new distillery being built at Roseisle, between Elgin and Kinloss.
Kinloss is home to the historic abbey.
Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness
For the Children (and big kids!)......
You don't have to look far for ideas to keep the kids occupied:
- Landmark Centre at Carrbridge, excellent for a day out
- Along the coastline from Nairn there are long stretches of sandy beach
- Lots of walks and cycle paths in the nearby Culbin Forest Nature Reserve
- Boat trips into the Moray Firth to see the famous dolphins
- Steam train rides between Boat of Garten and Aviemore
- Cairngorm Reindeer Herd and Highland Wildlife Park near Aviemore
- Nessie hunting on Loch Ness! Take a cruise from Inverness, Drumnadrochit or Fort Augustus, visit the Nessie centres and explore Urquhart Castle.
- Check out the world famous producers of Baxters of Speyside, Walkers of Aberlour and Johnstones of Elgin
- More clambering about on ruins - Rait Castle is near the Inn and Duffus Castle is just a short drive away
Lots of opportunities throughout the area including:
- 20 golf courses all within a short drive (Golf Breaks available)
- Sailing and other watersports at Nairn and Findhorn
- Shooting and fishing can be arranged, including expert help from Nairn Angling Association.
- Hiking and climbing
- Guided walks with the rangers on the Cawdor Estate
- Cycling and mountain biking
- Horse riding
- Birdwatching - see the ospreys at the RSPB Reserve at Loch Garten
Ardclach on the River Findhorn
Eilean Donan Castle
Within a 2-3 hour drive you can see a whole range of different landscapes:
- Cairngorm Mountain Range with chairlift to the summit - spectacular views
- Aberdeenshire - full of castles, distilleries and standing stones
- Royal Deeside - Braemar and the Queen's summer residence Balmoral Castle
- Eilean Donan Castle and the Isle of Skye
- Ullapool on the west coast and Inverewe Gardens
- The Far North: Dunrobin Castle and John O'Groats
We could go on and on!
There is so much to see and do in our area that we are sure you will want to return!
Web site copyright © 2000 - 2013 Covenanters Inn and
The Internet Guide to Scotland
Not to be reproduced without permission